Saturday 19 February 2011

Derry hails QPR's answer to Maradona


QPR midfielder Shaun Derry believes his side will have a healthy advantage over Preston when the sides meet at Deepdale on Saturday - as they have a Maradona impersonator in their ranks.
Derry is protector-in-chief of Rangers' enigmatic playmaker Adel Taarabt and, after playing against the Moroccan last season, he has some sympathy for Phil Brown's men ahead of this weekend's clash.
"I played
against Adel last season for Crystal Palace and he put it through my legs on the halfway line and run away like Maradona against Peter Reid in the 1986 World Cup, so to try to kick him just brings him on as a player," Derry said.
"I have seen so many players this year try to take him out at the waist and, in a weird and wonderful way, he thrives on that because he knows he has that player in a place where he can exploit him."
The former Leeds hardman is relied upon to do the lions’ share of the defensive duties in the Rangers midfield, while Taarabt works his magic, but he insists the view is well worth the doggy work.
"I get encouragement from watching Adel doing a step-over and bending one in the top corner, that brings me on as a player.
"And although I would cajole players into rectifying a mistake or giving them a bit of confidence, he gives me my confidence by doing the stuff he does."

No comments:

Post a Comment